Williamson Memorial Funeral Home
Williamson Memorial Gardens
Spring Hill Memorial Park
News & Events
Use the form above to find your loved one. You can search using the name of your loved one, or any family name for current or past services entrusted to our firm.Click here to view all obituaries
VETERAN’S BURIAL ALLOWANCE
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) furnishes a partial reimbursement of eligible veteran’s burial and funeral costs. When the cause of death is not service-related, the reimbursement is generally described as two payments. (1) a burial and funeral expense allowance, and (2) a plot interment allowance. You may be entitled to a VA burial allowance if:
• You paid for a veteran’s burial or funeral AND
• You have not been reimbursed by another government agency or some other source, such as the deceased veteran’s employer AND
• The veteran was discharged under conditions other than dishonorable.
In addition, at least one of the following conditions must be met:
• The veteran died because of service-related disability OR
• The veteran was getting VA pension or compensation at the time of death OR
• The veteran was entitled to receive VA pension or compensation but decided not to reduce his/her military retirement or disability pay OR
• The veteran died in a VA hospital or while in a nursing home under VA contract.
Service related death. The VA will pay an allowance toward burial expenses.
Non-service related death. The VA will pay an allowance toward burial and funeral expenses and a plot interment allowance. If the death happened while the veteran was in a VA hospital or under contracted nursing care, the cost of moving the deceased may be reimbursed.
HEADSTONES AND MARKERS
• The VA furnishes upon request, at no charge to the applicant, a Government headstone or marker to mark the unmarked grave of an eligible veteran in any cemetery around the world.
• Flat bronze, granite or marble marker and upright granite and marble headstones are available. The style chose must be consistent with existing markers or monuments at the place of burial.
• Niche markers are also available to mark columbarium used for inurnment of cremated remains.
Most veterans are eligible for a burial flag. Reservists entitled to retired pay are also eligible to receive a burial flag.
To facilitate receiving veterans benefits for which you may be eligible, you will need the following when you contact the Veterans Administration Office:
• Proof of the veteran’s military service (DD 214)
• Service Serial Number
• Marriage License (if applicable)
• Children’s Birth Certificate( if applicable)
• Certified copy of the death certificate.
Veterans Administration Toll-Free Phone Number is: 1-800-827-1000 or visit their online website: www.va.gov